Saturday, April 25, 2009

Our New Home...For Now

If you want to hear God laugh tell him your plans. Even with having placenta previa, I had full intentions of making it to 37 weeks and having a c-section scheduled and Carlee's arrival date on the calendar, but we were thrown for a loop Thursday morning. I woke up at 1am gushing blood and told Craig (in the calmest tone), "I'm going to call the doctor now." I talked to the doctor almost immediately and we came straight to the hospital. The dr. had already called the hospital labor and delivery floor so they were ready and waiting for me. From 2am until 8:30am, I was just hooked up to monitors so they could keep watch on Carlee's heartbeat. Then finally around 8:30am I got to see the High Risk Pregnancy doctor and had a sonogram. Carlee looked great, now weighing about 2.5 lbs and just happy as can be. The doctor confirmed that I not only have complete placenta previa, but I have multiple placentas and they are completely surrounding the baby, so definitely c-section. He explained that anytime my cervix expands my placenta will start to bleed. Luckily, it stopped bleeding on its own, otherwise, we would have delivered her immediately. Later that morning they got me settled into a nice large private room. My regular ob doctor came in to see me and said that I would be here for at least 48 hours, possibly up to a week, if and only if I went a full 48 hours with no bleeding. She said that even if I did go home I would have to be on complete bed rest. Bed and bathroom only! They gave me a couple steroid shots to help Carlee's lung develop in case they end up having to deliver her early. Everything went well Friday and then this morning and again at 1am I started gushing blood again. They immediately took me to the L&D room and hooked me back up to monitors and started an IV. Carlee once again was just as happy as could be. Fortunately, the bleeding stopped on its own and at 10am they moved me back to my regular room, but the doctor said that I wasn't going home. This was now my permanent home until baby arrives. At this point, I am on pure bed rest and just need to take it easy so Miss Carlee can develop as much as possible. The goal is to at least get to 32-34 weeks. Obviously, if I could get to 37 weeks, which would be the furthest they would let me go, that would be a miracle, but the doctors said that is not realistic. Every single day that she stays in my belly is beneficial to her development and we are just praying (and ask for your prayers) that we get to 29 weeks, then 30 weeks, then 31 weeks, then 32 weeks, etc....Currently, I am at 28 weeks.

I am surprisingly calm and in good spirits. Craig seems to be worrying enough for the both of us. My parents are both here of course and mom is staying until the baby is born and I'm sure several weeks afterwards. We have had the most amazing love and support from all of our friends and family and I am truly convinced that this situation is in God's hands and He is taking great care of all of us. I know I don't have to ask, but if everyone would please continue to pray for us we would greatly appreciate it. We look forward to holding our little girl soon (but not too soon)!!!

Lots of love and many thanks for the continued prayers and support,

Susan

4 comments:

Kate said...

Susan: you, Craig and Carlee are in our prayers. I'm sure bed rest can be frustrating but you will get some good rest before your sweet bundle arrives! I can't wait to see pictures of your healthy sweet girl!

Chelsi said...

Susan, SO glad to hear your such in good spirits. We've been praying all day for you, Craig, and sweet little Carlee after reading Kelly's post. I'm glad you're surrounded by so many loving, supportive people. (Nothing beats a mama's love! So glad she's getting to stay with you!) What a blessing! Yall will definitely stay in our prayers.

Kelly said...

You know we are praying for you up here! And I will be down there SOON to see you. You are already doing an incredible job being her Mommy by taking care of yourself and her -- keep up the awesome job baking her! LOVE YOU!!!

Emily said...

Of course little ladies! We have already prayed several times today...wish we could be with y'all!